I love ruining moments with feelings talk, and I am so grateful to everyone who reads and contributes here. Without your enthusiasm (or at least acknowledgement) of my internet corner I would have never been intersted in attending a weekend for bloggers that was so way more awesome than just blogging. Your support made me feel like when I had that and other things before to say, here was the best place to bring it. The big kanhuna posts are kind of few and far between in my hum drum life, but when they come out I am always amazed at how wonderful everyone is about receiving them. Thank you!
So coming back from a weekend like Blissdom. It's kind of like the song While My Guitar Gently Weeps. That first riff is crazy full of power, then you start processing the words and you realize there's so many directions you can go - good things are happening but some things are still the same a lot to manage - so much confusion and energy at the same time! Damn, GH knew what he was doing with that one.
As the dust settles, the shining take away right now are the new people I met that I really like. Blogs I've been reading that I wouldn't have come across had it not been for us talking jewelry and celeb gossip in the lunch line. There were almost a thousand people at Blissdom and I walked off with a small handful of absolutely lovely contacts. That's personally how I benefit from large situations like that - taking it a person at a time.
So many fun gems that it was time to update ye ol' blog roll! (Those little links to blogs on the side of my page, y'all.) I try to make everything on my blog have some sort of value or meaning - welcome to life as a art history student - and I thought it would be fun to the rules of Lilly's blog roll, and then introduce why I love them so you can see about adding them to your list as well!
The Commandments of the Pancakes and Beet Juice Short Stack of BlogsI. Thou shalt be a size to my Goldilocks-esque liking. Not too big (I think we all read Young House Love and friends without my assitance) and I suppose also not too small so there's enough cool stuff going on that makes reading worth everyone's while.
II. Thou shalt be funny, but not all the time. I like the funny blogs, but I like the ones who aren't afraid to say the real stuff too. Kind of like what I strive for over here.
III. Thou shalt not bitch about your spouse or your job, although almost everything else is cool. Talking smack about your job or the person you share your life with just seems like you're asking for it, and that it would be way easier to just take it up with them anyways.
IV. Thou shalt not hurt my eyes. Nothing over here is made by a fancy graphic designer and what not, but let's please control the fonts and spacing and stuff, since I prefer to wreck my eyes by being on Twitter all day.
V. Thou shalt not tweet about Passionfruit ads and rates and specials or whateva. I totally understand that blogging takes time and financing it makes it worthwhile. No hard feelings but I haven't figured out the value of posting blogger ads (businesses are totally cool for some reasoning in my mind) yet so until then I'd rather pick who I want to feature and do it for free!
To give a quick overview:
- The Borrowed Abode and I met at Blissdom and she writes about spiffing up her rental and supporting small business along the way - hello Soul Sistah!
- Food and Fitness 4 Real keeps it real while talking food and fitness in Dallas. We also got to meet at Blissdom and she has the best personality!
- Preppy Empty Nester is my internet aunt and I love her. Her posts always make me smile, as do her comments!
- Hugs, Kisses and Snot and I met at another conference where we bonded over TOMs and fair trade tote bags. Reading her posts count as going to small group, right?
- Paige McDaniel's Blog is a great mix of her fantastic humor and life as the executive director at Community Partners of Dallas - one of my favorite Dallas charities!
- Lilacs and Longhorns finds the perfect balance of dressing a home that suits all the personalities in her house. She is also extremely encouraging to me in "real" life about blogging and I always appreciate it!
- DFW Food Truck Foodie has kept me well fed while supporting small and local business for years now. I can't imagine the Dallas food truck movement without her. She is a gem.
- Dear Abby Leigh is a new one that I am loving from Blissdom. You might see me linking up with her on Wednesdays for some fun fashion posts!
- Legally Fabulous is the high school bestie. Every one of her posts sounds exactly like when we talk in person. The real deal.
- Town and Country Mom is now my best internet friend y'all, so just be warned. This woman balances being a teriffic mom with being whip smart and hella funny. It's always inspiring and I love the pictures of the farm!
- La Conception Des Femmes is a group style blog with cool DIYs. I love all their personalities and have enjoyed when we can meet up in person!
What are some of your favorite blogs? Anyone else I need on my list?